Chunda is a very tasty Gujarati Pickle, Every gujarati household always has a jar of this pickle although they might have different variations of the recipe. This is my Favorite way of making chunda, and have been making it for years and let me tell you it always comes out perfect.
Chunda is a very delicious sweet and spicy raw mango pickle which goes very well, with theplas, rotis, parathas, spicy puris etc. My mom used usually carry thepla and chunda when we used to travel. Now I do the same, as its a perfect food while traveling.
Step by Step Video for ‘Chunda’ Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
Ingredients to make Chunda
|Raw Mango||1 Kg|
|Sugar||1 ½ kg|
|Salt||1 ½ tsp|
|Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder||1 tbsp|
|Asafetida / Hing||¼ tsp|
Prepping for Chunda
- Wash the raw mango(Rajapuri or ladwo – names of the raw mangoes used to make Chunda ) and dry it, once dry grate the raw mango. Keep the seeds along with the grated mango.
- Blend the sugar into fine powder.
Method for Making Chunda
- In a large mixing bowl, add the grated mango along with the seeds.
- Add the salt and turmeric, mix well.
- Cover it with a glass and keep it aside for half an hour.
- After half hour add the sugar and mix well. Cover it with the glass and keep it in the house for 3-5 days Make sure you stir it in intervals at least 4-5 times a days.
- Then remove the seeds and keep it in the sunlight for 3-4 days. Always remember to bring it back inside in the evening and keep it in the sunlight in the morning.
- Also Make sure you stir it in intervals at least 2-3 times a days.
- The timeline also depends on how hot it is in the area that you live, if it’s very hot it might take shorter amount of time for the chunda to be ready, and vice versa.
- Now once this stage is complete then add Asafetida and Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder and mix well.
- Cover and keep it in the sunlight for the next 3-4 hours.
- After 3-4 hours, mix it well and let it come down to room temperature and store it in a airtight container and store it in your pantry. No need to keep it in the fridge.
- Chunda will last for months and you can serve with roti, paratha,thepla or spicy puris.