Curd rice recipe is the perfect recipe if you are living in a hot and humid country or just want something to cool your body down. Of course you could go for a swim but if you are home and feeling the heat try out this recipe it will definitely refresh you and will be like a breath of fresh air.
This curd rice recipe is very simple to make, and if you know you want to make this recipe in advance you can always make some extra rice the day before and use it the next day to make curd rice. Killing two birds with one stone. 🙂
So what is Curd Rice?
Curd rice is basically a south indian dish , which is usually eaten at the end of the meal. It usually helps with the digestion also it prevents all the hot ,oily and spicy food to not have any adverse effect on your stomach. All you need to do is mix the curd( unsweetened yogurt) with boiled rice and give a tampering of few indian spices.
It is meant to be served with poppadoms & pickle.
Step by Step Video for ‘Curd Rice’ Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
Ingredients for Curd Rice
- 2 cups Boiled rice
- 1 ¼ cup Curd ( Unsweetened yogurt) (dahi)
- ¼ cup Milk (optional)
- ¼ cup Cilantro (dhania)
- 1 Green chillies (finely diced)
- as per taste Salt
Ingredients for the Tempering
- 2-3 Dried Red Chillies
- 6-7 Curry leaves (karipatta)
- 1 tbsp Dehusked split Bengal gram ( Urad dal)
- 1 tsp Cumin (jeera)
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds (rai)
- pinch Asafetida ( hing)
- 1 tbsp Clarified butter (ghee)
- Boil the rice and let it come to room temperature.
- Finely Chop the green chillies and the fresh ginger.
- In a big bowl take the boiled rice, add the curd. Mix well if required add more curd to your liking.
- Add milk, salt, green chillies and half of the cilantro. Mix well.
- In a tempering pan add the clarified butter and let it heat up.
- Add the mustard seeds, once they start crackling, add the cumin seeds, red chilli, the urad dal, curry leaves, hing and ginger.
- Turn off the flame and add this tempering on top of the curd rice.
- Mix well.
- Garnish with some fresh cilantro leaves.
- Serve cold with some papad or pickle.