Prep10 (Prep time) / 1 hours (Rest Time) min
Cook10 Min (Rest Time) 10 (cook time) min
Do you always wonder, why your homemade Dal Fry doesn’t taste like restaurant style or dhaba style!! thats because – you don’t have my Recipe!! Do try out the step by step written recipe and video and you will be able to enjoy authentic punjabi restaurant style Dal Fry at your home.
Step by Step Video for ‘Dal Fry’ Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
Ingredients for making Dal Fry
- 1 cup Toor Dal/ Pigeon Pea
- ⅓ cup Yellow Moong Dal/ Split Green Gram Dehusked
- 2 Onions
- 2 Tomatoes
- 2 Green chilli
- ½ tsp Jeera/ Cumin Seeds
- 15-20 Curry leaves
- ¼ tsp Haldi / Turmeric
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Dhania Powder / Coriander powder
- ½ tsp Jeera Powder / Cumin powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp Cilantro
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 4 ½ cups Water
Ingredients for the Tempering
- 1 tsp Oil
- 2 Dried Red Chilli
- 6-7 Garlic
- pinch Red Chilli Powder
- pinch Hing/ Asafetida
Prepping for the Dal Fry
- Dice up the vegetables keep aside in a bowl.
- Wash And soak the dal for 1 hour.
Method for making the Dal Fry
- Drain the water from the soaked dal and add the dal to a pressure cooker. Add 4 cups of water and wait till you hear three whistle.Once you hear three whistles, turn off the flame and let the cooker cool down a bit for about 10 minutes, to open the lid.
- Meanwhile in a kadhai add the oil, once the oil is hot add the Cumin seeds, once the cumin seeds start to sizzle add the curry leaves.
- Followed by the diced onions and chopped green chillies, and cook till the onions are translucent, this should take about 2-3 minutes.
- Now it’s time to add the diced tomatoes, mix well. Add turmeric, red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt. Mix well cover and cook on low flame for 3-4 minutes or til the time the tomatoes are fully cooked.
- Mix well, add cilantro.
- Add the pressure cooked dal, and mix well. If need be add little warm water and mix well.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes or until you see the dal boiling.
Method for Tempering
- While the dal coming to a boil, you can start working on the tempering.
- In a tempering pan, add oil and let it get heated.
- Now add the Dried Red Chillies and Sliced Garlic, and once the garlic starts to change color add a pinch of red chilli powder( for color) and hing. Turn of the flame immediately.
Method for bringing the two together.
- Pour this tempering on top of the dal.
- Garnish the dal with Fresh cilantro leaves and serve hot with Jeera rice or naan.