Yeah, dal is good! and Dal Palak is too good… 🙂 as it has power of protein from Dal and goodness of iron from Spinach and it also gives you a good break from making usual Dal.
Step by Step Video for ‘Dal Palak’ Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
Ingredients to make Dal Palak
|Spinach||2 big fistfull or half bunch|
|Toor dal / Pigeon peas||½ cup|
|Mild Green Chilies||3-4|
|Kari patta/ Curry Leaves||5-6|
|Jeera / Cumin seeds||¼ tsp|
|Rai / Mustard seeds||¼ tsp|
|Haldi / Turmeric||¼ tsp|
|Red Chilli Powder||½ tsp|
|Daniya / Coriander Powder||½ tsp|
|Jeera Powder / Cumin Powder||½ tsp|
|Garam Masala||½ tsp|
|Hing / Asafetida||Pinch|
|Fresh Cilantro||1 tsp|
|Salt||As per your taste|
Prepping for making the Dal Palak
- Dice up the vegetables(onions, tomatoes, green chilli, ginger and garlic) keep aside in a bowl.
- Roughly chop the spinach leaves
- Soak the toor dal for 1 hour
Method for making the Dal Palak
- In the pressure cooker oil and once it hot add the bay leaves, cinnamon stick and the black pepper.
- Followed by the Mustard and Cumin seeds. Once the mustard and cumin seeds start to sizzle add the asafetida/ hing and the curry leaves.
- After 15 seconds add the finely chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies.Mix it all in.
- Now it’s time to add the finely chopped onions and let the onions get cooked for 3-4 minutes or until they start looking golden brown in color.
- Once the onions are cooked add the tomatoes. Mix it all in.
- Cook for the next 2-3 minutes or until the tomatoes are fully cooked.
- Once the tomatoes are cooked add the roughly chopped spinach leaves. Mix well. And cook for 1-2 minute.
- Now add the all the masalas ( Garam Masala, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, Cumin ,coriander powder and salt) Mix well.
- Once the Masalas are well mixed in add the Soaked and drained toor dal and mix well as well.
- Time to add water ,for ½ cup of toor dal add 2 cups of water, So the ratio is 1=4.
- And now cover the cooker lid and wait for 3 whistles.
- After 3 whistles wait for the cooker to cool down a bit and then open the lid.
- Using a balloon whisk mix the dal.
- Transfer the dal in a serving bowl and garnish with fresh cilantro.
- Serve hot with some jeera rice and lachha paratha.