Cook10 (Prep time) / 2-3 hours (Rest Time) min
When you go to an Indian restaurant you always end up ordering Naan or Lachha Paratha cause you know you are not going to get this at home, as you think you are going to need that clay pot oven, a tandoor, to get that taste and feel. But what if i said that you could get almost the same taste and feel right at home, right in your kitchen. Wouldn’t you want to make it ?
I am sure you would definatly would love to give it a try. So today i am going to share this very simple and easy way to make naan, with garlic (optional) at home using just a griddle. Also this recipe is yeast free so if you are allergic or just not to comfortable using yeast then all your prayers have just been answered.
So let’s get started… and let’s make your kitchen your family’s favourite restaurant.
Step by Step Video for ‘Garlic Naan’ Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
Ingredients to make Garlic Naan
- 250 Grams or 1 ¾ cups Maida / All purpose Flour
- ½ cup Curd / Plain Yogurt
- ⅛ cup Milk
- ½ tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Powdered Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
Ingredients/ Toppings for Garlic Naan On Tawa
- 1 tbsp Garlic
- ½ tbsp Onion seeds
- ½ tbsp Cilantro
Prepping for the Garlic Naan
- Slice the garlic and keep aside in a bowl.
- Whisk the curd, until smooth.
- In a large bowl, add all purpose flour, salt and sugar and mix well.
- Make a small depression or a well in the centre and oil and the curd
- Gradually add the milk and start kneading the dough. Make sure if you are kneading the dough by hand then it should take about 7-8 minutes for you to knead it.
- You will know that the dough is ready when you make an impression and the dough bounces right back.
- Now using both your hands fold the dough into a round ball.
- Once the dough is ready, place it on a greased bowl and coat it well.
- Cover it and let it rise for about 2-3 hours. My favorite place to keep the dough to rise is in the microwave so that know that no draft will get to it. Make sure that the microwave is not plugged in.
Method for the Garlic Naan
- After 2-3 hours or once you dough has risen in its size, you again knead the dough for a while.
- Divide the dough into six equal parts and using a rolling pin roll it out to make round / oval shaped naans.
- Now add the garlic, onions seeds and cilantro and roll it one more time with the rolling pin, just to ensure that toppings stick to the naan.
- Meanwhile, keep the tawa for heating.
- Flip the naan and apply some water all over the plain surface of the naan.
- Put the naan over the heated tawa. Let it stay for a few seconds on a low flame until you see few bubbles coming over it.
- Then turn the tawa upside down and increase the flame. Move it over the flame and let it cook through until you see brown spots on the naan.
- Turn the griddle back and using a spatula remove the garlic naan, into a serving plate.
- Apply butter and serve hot with dal and/or curry.