Today I am sharing a very delicious dish using green peas as a main ingredient. Peas curry /Matar Usal is a curry from the Maharashtrian Cuisine with coconut and spice as a base. Peas curry /Matar Usal is sweet and spicy at the same time. Maharashtrians generally add sugar or powdered jaggery to many of the dals and curries and this matar usal is no exception.
We had a small get-together at our place and my mom had made “Mattarchi Usal”. I still relish those moments, the taste is still alive in my memories. After a long time I tried to recreate it with slightly different ingredients. It’s very easy to make and doesn’t require any special ingredients. I am sure you will enjoy it as much I did.
Step by Step Video for ” Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
Ingredients for the Green Peas curry / Matar Usal
- 1 cup Fresh Green Peas
- 1 medium size Onion
- 1 big size Tomato
- ½ cup Fresh grated Coconut
- ½ cup Cilantro / dhania
- 1 tbsp Ginger Chilli Garlic paste / Adrak Mirchi Lasun paste
- ½ tsp Garam masala
- ¼ tsp Turmeric /Haldi powder
- ½ tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- ½ tsp Cumin seed /Jeera powder
- 1 tsp Sugar
- pinch Hing
- 2 tbsp Oil
- As per your taste Salt
- 2 ½ cup Water
Prepping for the Green Peas curry / Matar Usal
- Add the roughly chopped onions to the blender and make a smooth paste and keep aside in a bowl
- Add the roughly chopped tomatoes to the blender and make a smooth paste and keep aside in a bowl
- Add the fresh dhania/ cilantro and grated coconut to the blender and make a smooth paste and keep aside in a bowl
Method for making the Green Peas curry / Matar Usal
1) in a kadai add about 2 tsp of oil and once its hot add the jeera which is cumin seeds and once they start to sizzle add the hing and the onion paste and and mix it all in and cook for 1 minute
2)After 1 minute add the Ginger Chilli Garlic paste and salt and mix it all in and now cook for the next 4-5 minutes or until the onions are fully cooked .
3)After 5 minutes let’s add the tomato puree and stir it in and cook for the next 5 minutes or until the tomato puree is fully cooked.
4)After 5 minutes add the coriander coconut puree and mix it in .
5)And now cook it for the next 6-7 minutes or until the oil starts separating.
6)After 6 minutes or once the puree is now fully cooked add the the turmeric powder which is haldi, followed by the kashmiri red chilli powder and the garam masala, the peas, and 2 and ½ cups of water and then mix it in.
7)And now cover and cook for the next 10 minutes.
8)After 10 minutes remove the cover and mix the gravy and finally add some sugar (totally optional) and give it a quick stir
9)And now the peas curry is ready so remove it in a serving bowl.
If you wish you can also give it a oil and red chilli tadka and serve with some bread or roti and rice.
Links to Buy Products Mentioned in this Post:
Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/someth21/public_html/wp-content/themes/recipes-child/single-recipe.php on line 123