Cook10 (Cook Time) / 30 (Rest Time) min
Quick and Instant Rava dhokla – best snack or side dish you can serve to your family and guests. There are various recipes for dhokla, but this is my favourite Instant Dhokla recipe. Make sure to follow the steps and you will be rewarded with soft and fluffy goodness which you can serve with fresh coriander chutney and impress your family and friends.
I being a gujarati grew up eating these homemade dhoklas and to me it was a routine dish, not knowing how much we Indians love them.
But since I have come across many people who wanted me to show this recipe , and as your wish is my command… and here we are…
Step by Step Video for ‘Instant Rava Dhokla’ Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
Ingredients for Instant Rava Dhokla
- 1 cup Semolina / Rava / Sooji (small size/ fine variety of sooji)
- ½ cup Buttermilk
- 1 pinch Hing / Asafoetida
- 2 tsp Ginger Chilly Paste
- 5 grams Fruit Salt
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- ¾ cup or as required Water
- to taste Salt
Ingredients for Tempering or Garnishing
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 10 Curry Leaves
- 2 Dry Red Chilli
- In a bowl take the Semolina, to this add the buttermilk and water and mix till no lumps. Keep aside for half an hour.
- Add Asafoetida, salt , oil , ginger chilli paste. mix well.
- Meanwhile heat the water in the steamer, and grease the pan or dish with oil.
- Add the fruit salt to the dhokla batter and mix briskly. I use Regular Eno as a fruit salt.
- Pour the batter in the prepared pan. Keep the pan in the steamer and cover and steam for 7 minutes.
- After 7 minutes check with a toothpick or a knife , if the knife comes out clean , then the dhokla is ready. Remove the dhokla.
- To unmold the dhokla , cut it horizontally and then vertically and then along the sides of the pan giving you small square shape dhoklas
- Heat oil in a small pan, add the mustard seeds, and let them pop.
- Then add cumin and allow it to crackle.
- Add the red chillis and the curry leaves. switch off the flame and pour the tempering mixture evenly over the dhokla.
Serve the Instant Rava Dhokla warm or cold with some coriander chutney.
I believe that a good tempering is essential for the rava dhokla, or for that matter, any dish to have that special smell and taste and I vouch for the tempering pan that I use, As for tempering not only the ingredient that we use are important but even the pan.
I personally prefer the one which is thick as it takes the right amount of time to heat the oil and the rest of the ingredients rather than doing it quickly and burning the items in the pan itself. The one I use and recommend is – Prestige Hard Anodised Tadka Pan.