Jal-jeera, or JalJeera, is an Indian beverage. It is flavored with a spice mix known as jal-jeera powder. In Hindi, “jal” means water and “jeera” means cumin. The beverage form is essentially lemonade and jaljira powder, and is a popular summer drink in India. It is sometimes served as an appetizer, as it is intended to “startle” the taste buds and its digestive properties.
Jaljira powder generally consists of cumin, ginger, black pepper, mint, black salt, some fruit powder (usually either mango, or some kind of citrus zest), and chili or hot pepper powder.
Step by Step Video for ‘JalJeera‘ Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
Ingredients for JalJeera
- 2 tbsp Mint leaves / Pudina
- ½ tbsp Cilantro / Dhania
- 2 tbsp Lime juice / Nimbu ka ras
- 2 tbsp Roasted Cumin seed / Bhuna hua jeera
- ⅛ tsp Black pepper / Kali mirchi
- 1 tsp Dried Mango powder /Amchur
- ¼ “ Ginger / Adrak
- ¼” Green chilli Hari mirch
- 1 tsp Black salt / Kala namak
- 1 tbsp (optional) Boondi
Prepping for the JalJeera
1)Wash the mint leaves and the cilantro leaves and keep it aside in a bowl.
Method for making the JalJeera
1) In a Blender add the cilantro then the green chillies along with the Ginger then the lime juice and the Mint leafs along with ¼ cup of water.And blend until you get a smooth puree.
2) once you get the smooth puree then added to a sieve
3)using a spoon make sure that only the juice from the puree was down in a glass and discard the remaining pulp from the sieve
4)Now to this juice add the black pepper powder Followed by the cumin powder then the black salt and the chat masala and mix it well
5)Add 2 cups of chilled water and mix it again
6) in a glass filled with ice add this jaljeera water and top it up with some boondi
7)And garnish it with a slice of lime and some mint leaves.