Jeera Aloo is such an easy yet delicous dish, and the best part is it takes very little time to make.
Jeera aloo is a perfect recipe for lunch box as kids love potatoes and you can be a stress free in the morning as it hardly takes any time to make. You can also make it for easy lunch or dinner. Jeera Aloo tastes really great with the lachha paratha, roti, hot puris or even with Dal fry and jeera rice.
The other variation of this dish is make use of sweet potatoes instead of regular ones.
Jeera Aloo is very popular as a bachelors dish as its one of the easiest and fastest Indian recipes and it takes less than 20 minutes to prepare. A variation of this dish is widely consumed during the fasting days.
Step by Step Video for ‘Jeera Aloo’ Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
Ingredients for the Jeera Aloo
- 5 medium size Potatoes - Boiled and cubed
- 4-5 Mild Green Chillies
- ½ tbsp Ginger Paste
- 2 tbsp Cilantro / Dhanya
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 ½ tsp Jeera / Cumin Seeds
- ¼ tsp Turmeric / Haldi
- ¼ tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Mango Powder / Amchur
- 1 tsp Coriander / Dhania Powder
- ½ tsp Cumin / Jeera Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- pinch Asafoetida/ Hing
- As per your taste Salt
Prepping for the Jeera Aloo
1.Boil and cube the potatoes. Slice the green chillies and chop the cilantro and keep aside
Method for making the Jeera Aloo
- In a vessel add some oil, and once it’s hot add the Cumin seeds.
- Once the Cumin starts to sizzle add the asafoetida, ginger and the green chillies. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Now it’s time to add all the dry spices. ( Turmeric / Haldi, Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder, Mango Powder / Amchur, Coriander / Dhania Powder, Cumin / Jeera Powder, Garam Masala and the salt.
- Cook the masalas for a minute and then add the boiled and cubed potatoes. Mix well.
- Once the masalas have coated with potatoes add the cilantro and mix well.
- Lower the flame, cover the vessel and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- After 3-4 minutes, turn off the flame and transfer it to a serving bowl
- Serve hot with lachha paratha, or roti or Dal Fry and Jeera Rice.