Lachha paratha is a very popular variety of paratha in North India and is often eaten as breakfast with tea in the mornings. Laccha paratha is also called as lachedar paratha and is made of whole wheat flour.
You might even find this paratha in restaurants made using all purpose flour and eggs, or a mix of all purpose flour with whole wheat flour or just plain old all purpose flour.But as this is homecooking let’s skip the all purpose flour and jump directly to the whole wheat flour which is definitely better for you.
Laccha paratha means a paratha that has layers, and the whole trick is to get those beautiful layers in this paratha. There are almost four to five techniques to get the layers in the paratha but here I am going to just tell you about the easiest and simplest way to make the perfect lachedar paratha.
I personally am a big fan of masala lachha paratha which is basically almost the same as lachha paratha but with an addition of few masalas(spices). I also prefer to make a paratha of medium thickness, the word thin and paratha does not really fit well in my dictionary , so if you are like me and prefer a thick paratha make sure you have cooked it well on both the sides evenly.
These lachha parathas taste great with curd , pickle or any of your favourite vegetables.
Step by Step Video for ‘Lachha Paratha’ Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
ingredients for Lachha Paratha
- 2 cups Whole Wheat flour
- 1 tbsp Carom Seeds(Ajwain)
- 1tsp Red chilli powder
- 1tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp Ghee ( clarified butter)
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- as per taste Salt
- Take the whole wheat dough add the oil and mix well.
- Add water in parts and knead to make a smooth dough.
- Add more water if required for the Dough . Cover the dough with a wet cloth for 15-20 mins.
- Take a part of the dough, almost the size of a big lime and roll it into 5-6 inches diameter disc using a rolling pin on a board or a clean counter top.
- Apply ghee liberally on the paratha. Sprinkle some flour on the top.
- If you are making masaledar lacha paratha then add the carom seeds, garam masala , red chilli powder and salt as per your taste
- From the top start to fold the paratha. It is like making a paper fan in origami.
- Then dust some more dry flour on the folds and slightly start to stretch it by making a up and down motion ( it will be easier for you to understand once you see my video)
- Start rolling the folded edges tightly starting from one corner till the end, and join the edges.
- Now press it with your palm and roll it into round parthas of about 5 -6 inches in diameter.
- On a hot griddle place the paratha.Turn it on other side when one side is partially cooked.
- Apply ghee on this side and cook for a minute, then turn the paratha and apply ghee.
- Flip it a couple of times till the parathas are cooked evenly and make sure to press them lightly while cooking them.
- Serve hot.