Methi Matar Malai is a north indian dish which is unlike most north indian dishes, the look and taste of this dish is what make this dish very different from the other indian dishes.
The greenish color , the creamy texture and the subtle hint of spices and the richness from the cashew paste is what makes this dish and excellent choice to order in restaurants or to make at home if you are looking for a change in taste.
Methi matar malai recipe is fairly simple to make and tastes exactly like what you get in the restaurants, and the plus point of making this recipe at home is you can control the amount of fresh cream you want to use. This dish also has a slight bit of a sweeter taste than most other dishes so it’s perfect for kids and people who are new to indian cooking and is looking for milder options.
While on my stays out of india, I had made Methi Matar Malai for my friends and as they were pretty new to indian food they were very septical about how spicy it would be and when I presented them with this dish they were absolutely delighted and loved every bit of it, and rest is history as I was asked to make more for next time 🙂
Step by Step Video for ‘Methi Matar Malai‘ Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
Ingredients for Methi Matar Malai
- 3-4 cups or 1 bunch Methi/ Fenugreek Leaves
- ½ cup Green Peas
- 1 ½ tbsp Dried Fenugreek Leaves/ Kasuri methi
- 12-15 Cashew nuts / Kaju
- 1 ¼ cup Milk
- 1 big Onion
- ½ cup or as per your taste Fresh Cream
- 3-4 cloves Garlic
- 2 Green chilli
- ½ “ inch Ginger
- 1 tsp Black Pepper / Kali Mirch
- 2 Cardamom / Elaichi
- ½ “ inch or less CInnamon / Dalchini
- 4-5 Cloves / Laung
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds / Jeera
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- pinch Turmeric / Haldi
- 1 tsp Sugar (Optional)
- as per taste Salt
- 1 tsp Oil
- Chop the methi leaves and wash them thoroughly.
- Chop the onion into big chunks. Keep aside.
- Boil the green peas if they are fresh, if you are using frozen green peas you will need to refresh(put the frozen peas in boiling water for 2-3 minutes) them before use.
Method for making the Methi Matar Malai
- In a pot boil some water to this add the onions, green chillies, cashew nuts and the ginger. Boil for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes drain the water and let it come to room temperature.
- Once its cool enough add it to a mixer grinder along with the garlic and make fine paste and keep aside.
- In another pot boil some water and boil the methi leaves for 5 mins. After 5 minutes drain the water and squeeze out any remaining water of the leaves. Keep Aside.
- In a mixer grinder add the Dried spices(Black Pepper, cloves, Cinnamon and cardamom), make fine powder.
- In a Kadai (deep pan) add oil and once the oil is hot add the cumin seeds.
- Once the cumin seeds start crackling add the onion and cashew paste and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the methi leaves to this and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Once it start to become clumpy add the green peas. Cook for a minute.
- Now add the salt, Garam masala, Turmeric Powder and the Powdered whole spices. Mix well.
- Add the Milk and the fresh cream and mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- After 2-3 minutes add the dried Fenugreek Leaves and sugar( Optional) cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Garnish some dried fenugreek leaves. Serve hot with Naan or roti.
Links to Buy Products Mentioned in this Post:
Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/someth21/public_html/wp-content/themes/recipes-child/single-recipe.php on line 123