Cook20 (Cook Time) / 10 (Rest Time) min
Peas Rice, is one of my favorite dishes to make as it is so easy and simple, and yet so flavourful. Especially if I have had a long day, I lean towards this dish, and it have never let me down.
You just need very few ingredients, when you are making peas rice/pulav, most of them you might already have in your pantry.
Peas rice / pulav is basically a mild dish but with the right amount of flavour, so even kids or aged people can enjoy this equally. And if you are anything like me and love spicy food, you can just make the Green Spicy Chutney and you are golden.
Step by Step Video for ‘Peas Rice / Pulav’ Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
Ingredients for Peas Rice / Matar Pulav
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- ¾ cup Green Peas/ Matar
- 1 medium size Potatoes, diced
- 1 medium size Onion, sliced
- 1 medium size Tomato
- 3 (mild) Green Chilli
- ¼ tsp Asafetida/ hing
- ½ tsp Jeera Seeds
- 1 tbsp Punjabi garam Masala
- 1 Bay Leaf/ Tej Patta
- ½ “ inch Cinnamon stick/ Dalchini
- 4 Cloves/ Laung
- 4 Black pepper/ Kali Mirch
- 1 tsp Clarified Butter/ Ghee
- 1 tsp Oil
- Wash the rice and drain the water and keep aside for half an hour.
- Chop the potatoes, onions, and slice the green chilli into four parts.
- Put the tomatoes in the mixer grinder and make smooth puree.
- Boil the peas if you are using fresh peas.( If you are using frozen then refresh them)
- In a pressure cooker, heat the oil and add the whole spices(Bay Leaf, Cinnamon stick, cloves, and black pepper).
- Once the whole spices start sizzling add the cumin seeds, and once they start crackling add asafoetida and the sliced onions along with sliced green chillies.
- When the onions are half way cooked add the raw cubed potatoes and cook till they are at least half way cooked( cover the pressure cooker so the potatoes get cooked faster)
- Now add the green peas, the tomato puree and salt, mix well and cover up the cooker.
- After 3-4 minutes or after the tomato puree is cooked in add the punjabi garam masala and the rice. Mix well.
- Add hot water ( 2 ¼ cups ) cover the lid lightly and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Once you see the water is almost dried up cover the cooker and wait for 1 whistle.
- After a whistle turn of the gas, and wait for the cooker to get a little cooler so you can open the lid.
- After opening the lid add some Clarified Butter and cover the cooker lightly for 15 seconds.
- Serve hot with papad, curd or chutney.
Links to Buy Products Mentioned in this Post:
Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/someth21/public_html/wp-content/themes/recipes-child/single-recipe.php on line 123