If you are making Indian food then Garam masala is a must have ingredient to make your dish special. Your dish is incomplete if you don’t add Garam Masala. And if you plan to make any Punjabi – North Indian dishes this is the best Punjabi Garam masala that is out there.
So what is Garam Masala? Garam Masala is a blend of spices which are sun roasted or lighted dry roasted in a pan and then made into a fine powder.
These powdered mixes are easily available in the market in and in you local grocery store. You can just as easily use those but then you could very well be using the sub-standard product. So why to buy these from the stores when you can so easily make them at home and feel at peace knowing the spices you used were definitely high quality.
Also as I would definitely recommend investing in a really nice air tight container so as to keep the garam masala fresh for a long time as we use just a half a tsp in a curry or dal. If you put more then it can overpower your dish. So a small amount goes a long way.
Step by Step Video for ‘Punjabi Garam Masala’ Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
Ingredients for Garam Masala
- 100 grams Coriander seeds / Dhania Seeds
- 100 grams Black pepper / Kali Miri/ Kali Mirch
- 75 grams Cumin Seeds / Jeera
- 20 grams Big Cardamom Pods / Badi Elaichi
- 20 grams Cinnamon Sticks / Dalchini
- 20 grams Nutmeg / Jaifal
- 10 grams Long Pepper/Big Pepper / Piple
- 10 grams Cloves / Laung
- 10 grams Mace / Javantri
- Spread the whole spices on a plate or thali.
- Keep in the sun for 2-3 days. Or dry roast them on a hot pan just to remove the moisture from the spices.
- Add the spices in a mixer grinder and make fine powder.
- Store in a airtight container.