Delhi is famous for rajma chawal, and why shouldn’t it be cause once you take a bite you will be hooked. Not only its very healthy but absolutely delicious. And the best part is it’s not very difficult to make. Just make sure you that you boil the rajma to perfection cause if it remains hard then it will be very difficult to digest.
So what is rajma? Rajma is a vegetarian dish consisting of red kidney beans and is made in a thick gravy with onions and tomatoes and many indian spices and is usually served with boiled rice, in north India.
Step by Step Video for ‘Rajma Masala’ Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
Ingredients to make Rajma
- 1 cup Rajma / Kidney Beans
- 1 ½ medium size Onion
- 2 medium size Tomato
- 4 Mild Green Chillies
- ½ “ Ginger
- 5-6 Garlic
- ⅛ cup Coriander / Dhania / Cilantro
- pinch Hing / Asafoetida
- ½ tsp Haldi / Turmeric
- 1 tsp Dhania Powder / Coriander Powder
- ½ tsp Jeera Powder / Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red Chilli powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 4 cup Water
- as per your taste Salt
Prepping for Rajma
- Rinse and drain the Rajma.
- Add drinking water to the Rajma and soak it overnight. The ratio should be 1: 4.
- make the onions paste. So roughly chop the onions and add to the blender and make a smooth paste. Once done remove it in a bowl and keep aside.
- Then make tomato and green chilli puree, so again roughly chop the tomatoes and add it to the blender, along with some roughly chopped mild green chillies
- Once the tomato chilli puree is ready remove it in a bowl and keep aside.
Method for making the Rajma
1) in a pressure cooker add the soaked rajma along with the water and cook it till the time you hear 7-8 whistles.
2) After the cooker has completed 8 whistles and once it’s cool enough, open the lid, and check if the rajma has cooked, by taking a spoon and some rajma in it press it with your thumb if you can crush it easily that means it’s ready or else just cook for 2-3 more whistles. 3)So for the gravy add the oil in a wok and once it’s hot add the hing, followed by the ginger and garlic which as should be finely diced. Now add the onion paste stir and cook it for 4-5 minutes or until the onions are fully cooked.
4)Also add in some salt just enough for the onions so that they cook a little faster.
5)Once the onions are nicely cooked it’s time to add the tomato chilli puree, stir it well with the cooked onions.
6)At this time we can also add some of the maslas, So add the Haldi (Turmeric), Dhania jeera powder (cumin coriander powder) along with Kashmiri red chilli
7)Little bit of the salt just for the tomatoes, and mix it all in.
8) and cook this for 4-5 minutes or until the tomatoes are fully cooked and the oil starts separating.
9)once the tomato puree is fully cooked, add the pressured cooked rajma along with the water in it.
10)Now simply mix it all together. And boil it for the next 8-10 minutes.
11)After 10 minutes time to add the garam masala and some fresh dhania leaves (Cilantro) and mix it well. And time to switch off the flame, garnish with some fresh dhania leaves and serve hot with some boiled or jeera rice.
So guys it’s always a good idea to have a little extra gravy in the rajma as the rajma will keep absorbing the water as it cools down.
Links to Buy Products Mentioned in this Post:
Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/someth21/public_html/wp-content/themes/recipes-child/single-recipe.php on line 123