Rice Balls / Ammini Kozhukattai is an age old recipe that we love to have as evening snack or tiffin or as breakfast.. Since it is made with tempering lentils and with steamed rice balls, this is a very healthy and tasty lunch box recipe for all.Though this is made with the leftover dough made for preparing sweet modhaks on Ganesh Chathurthi, this Rice Balls Kozhukattai finds a place in the regular menu in many households…
As it is not only easy to make but also an eye catcher because of its spherical sponge-like structure. Which attracts everyone from the kids to the adults.
Step by Step Video for ‘Rice Balls / Ammini Kozhukattai’ Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
Ingredients for Rice Balls / Ammini Kozhukattai
- 1 cup Rice flour / Chawal ka atta
- 4 tbsp Fresh coconut / Gila nariyal
- 8 to 10 Curry leaves / kadi patta
- 2 Dried Red Chilli
- 1 tsp Ginger chilli paste / Adrak mirch paste
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Jeera
- 1 tsp Split & dehusked black gram / Urad dal
- 1 tsp Split Chickpeas / Chana dal
- 1 tsp Lime juice / Nimbu ka ras
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds / Rai
- 1 tbsp Cilantro / Fresh Dhania
- as per your taste Salt
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1 ½ cup Water
Prepping for the the Rice Balls / Ammini Kozhukattai
1)Grated the coconut in a bowl and keep aside. Chop the cilantro and keep aside.
Method of making the Rice Balls / Ammini Kozhukattai
1) In a kadai add the water along with jeera / cumin seeds, ginger chilli pastes, and salt and 2-3 drops of oil, and wait for the water to come to a boil.
2) once the water comes to a boil then add 1 tbsp of Grated coconut and then turn the flame on medium and add the rice flour.
3)And now mix everything in. And now that everything mixed in, turn off the flame and cover with a lid for the next 10 minutes.
4)After 10 minutes and remove the rice dough in a big plate and take a little bit of oil in your hands and then knead the dough for the next 2-3 minutes or until becomes nice and soft and smooth incase the dough keeps sticking to your fingers then apply a little bit of oil to your hands.
5) once the dough is kneaded and is soft and smooth apply little bit of oil to your fingers and make very small balls out of them.
6)Do the same with the rest of the dough and then keep it on this greased plate
7)Meanwhile in a kadai add water and put stand and let the water come to a bolil.
8) once the water is boiling put the greased plated with the rice balls on top of the stand and cover it up and turn up the flame and cook for the next 15 to 20 minutes.
9)After 15 minutes turn off the flame and remove the plate ivery carefully out
10)The rice balls should have a nice glaze and shine on then and now keep them aside for now so now
11)ina a kadai add about 3 to 4 tablespoons of oil and once its hot add the good at that chana dal which is the split chickpeas and Split & dehusked black gram / Urad dal and the dried red chilli and less stir
12) now add the At the mustard seed and once they start to sizzle then add the cumin seeds which is Jira followed by the hing / Asafoetida and the curry leaves / kadi patta and half the grated coconut give it a quick Stir.
13) turn the flame on low and now add one by one of these rice balls .
14)mix well and then add little bit of the Dhaniya with and a little bit of the coconut and now let’s give it a quick stir and cook for about 2 minutes
15) After 2 minutes our dish is ready so do serve it while it’s hot with some chutney or tomato ketchup.
Links to Buy Products Mentioned in this Post:
Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/someth21/public_html/wp-content/themes/recipes-child/single-recipe.php on line 123