Prep4 hour (Stand by time) prep time - 10 min
Sabudana khichdi is one of the most preferred fasting food. And it’s very popular during shivratri, or navaratri or any similar hindu religious occasion. But It’s so delicious that even when you are not fasting you can make it for breakfast. Its also very easily available as street food, and even in restaurants and is widely eaten throughout the year.
Sabudana Khichdi is made from soaked sabudana ( pearl tapioca) and is typically prepared in Maharashtra, madhya pradesh, Rajasthan and Gujrat. But with its growing popularity the whole of india is now eating this delicious super easy dish. So if you are in an area where you don’t get this dish you can follow my easy step by step recipe of soaking the sabudana to the final product which is mouthwatering Sabudana Khichdi.
Step by Step Video for ‘Sabudana Khichdi’ Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
Ingredients to make Sabudana Khichdi
- 1 cup Sabudana / Sago
- 1 medium sized Potato - boiled and cubed
- 1/2 cup Peanuts
- ¼ cup Cilantro / Dhaniya
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds / Jeera
- 2 Mild green chillies
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 Lemon / Lime
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Clarified Butter/ Ghee
- as per taste salt
Prepping for the Sabudana Khichdi
- For this recipe we need water soaked Sabudana and that is important step for the best results.
- let’s start this process by first rinsing the sabudana, so for that lets add the sabudana in a colander and add water and use your hand if necessary . After rinsing transfer the sabudana in a bowl and then add some water. Make sure that the water downs the sabudana. You should be able to see the water on the surface. Now cover it up and keep it aside for the next 3-4 hours. I usually prefer to keep the sabudana soaked overnight and make it for breakfast.
- After 3-4 hours our sabudana must have soaked up all the water and will be looking very nice and puffy.
- Now take some peanuts and dry roast them in a pan for 4-5 minutes or until they start showing some color. Now keep them aside and let them cool off a bit. Once they are at room temperature using both the hands remove the peanut cover.
- The put in a blender and blender until you get a coarse powder.
- Boil the potato. Remove skin and cut into cubes.
Method for making the Sabudana Khichdi
- Take the bowl in which you have the water soaked sabudana, and add ¼ cup of this peanut powder. (If you have some left over peanut powder you can always add it to your veggies, or raita, or just store it in a airtight container for the next time).
- add ½ tsp salt ,1 tbsp sugar And ½ lime juice and mix it really well. And keep it aside.
- In a pan add some Clarified butter which is Ghee and the oil, once it’s hot then add the Jeera,
- and once the jeera starts to sizzle add the green Chillies, followed by the boiled potatoes. I also like to a little salt just enough for the potatoes at this time.and cook for half an minute on medium flame.
- half a minute later add the sabudana and the cilantro leaves and mix it well.
- Now cover and cook for 8-10 minutes on a low flame, remember to stir gently in intervals.
- Once your sabudana starts looking a transparent, that means it’s time for you to turn off the flame and let your sabudana sit with the lid on for 5 minutes. This will help the sabudana to become even more soft.
- After 5 minutes serve in a dish garnish with some fresh cilantro leaves and a wedge of lime.
- Serve while hot with some curd.
Links to Buy Products Mentioned in this Post:
Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/someth21/public_html/wp-content/themes/recipes-child/single-recipe.php on line 123