Step by Step Video for ‘Samosa’ Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
Ingredients for the Samosa Dough
- 2 cups - almost half kg (474 ml) All Purpose Flour / Maida
- 5-6 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- 1 tsp Salt
- 100 ml Cold Water
Ingredients for the Stuffing
- 4-5 Small to Medium size Potatoes
- ½ cup Peas
- 6 Mild Green Chilli
- ⅛ tsp Asafoetida / Hing
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds / Jeera
- ½ tsp Fennel Seeds / Sauf
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- ½ tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- Oil for frying
Prepping for the Samosa
- Boil the potatoes and keep them with the skin on in the refrigerator overnight.
- Boil the peas if using fresh peas or refresh them if using frozen peas.
- On the day of making the samosa, hand crush them.
Method for making the dough
- In a large utensil, add the all purpose flour and the carom seeds salt and the vegetable oil. Now mix it all together for at least 5 minutes, this will help the crust in becoming crisp.
- Now add little water as you go. The dough needs be very tough. For two cups of flour(my 1 cup comes to 237 ml- so i have used almost Half kg of flour) I have just used 100 ml of water.
- Now cover the dough with a wet cloth and keep it aside for half an hour
- After half an hour make round balls, and then using a rolling pin roll out a portion of the dough in a round / oval shape.
- Now cut it horizontally and dividing into 2 equal portions using a knife or a pizza cutter.
- Grease the ends with water and make a cone.
- Stuff the filling in the cavity of the cone.
- Now pull back and fold the cone, seal tightly by pressing firmly
Method for making the Filling
- In a vessel add oil, and once it’s hot add the Cumin seeds, and once the cumin seeds start to sizzle add the fennel seeds and the asafoetida.
- Now add the garlic and the ginger paste and cook for 30 seconds.
- Now add the green chillies and the hand mashed potatoes. Mix it all in.
- After a minute add salt, and mix well.
- Now add the green peas, and all of the masalas (Coriander powder, kashmiri red chilli powder, mango powder, black salt, cumin powder and chat masala) mix well. Cook for 5-6 minutes.
- After 5-6 minutes, add the cashews and cilantro, and mix well. Let this filling come down to room temperature.
- Once the filling is ready you can add it to the dough cone
Method for Frying the Samosa
- Heat the oil for frying on a low flame. Once the oil is warm but not hot, add the samosa,
- Fry for 13-15 minutes or until they are golden brown in color.
- Don’t forget to stir in intervals.
- Once fried, take them out on a paper towel to remove the excess oil and serve hot with green chutney or date and tamarind chutney.
If you wish you can bake the samosas @180c for 15 minutes.
Links to Buy Products Mentioned in this Post:
0 0 100 0