Sev and Chakli are the first two things that comes to your mind when you think of making the Diwali Faral, at least that’s the case with me. I always start making the Diwali snacks with Chakli followed by Sev.
I actually love to make chakli and Sev throughout the year, and store some in my kitchen, as they are perfect to serve with tea, and if you have unannounced guests, chakli and Sev can save your day.
I have many fond memories of making chakli and Sev since my childhood. During diwali I would always sit with my mom for 2-3 days and we would make various snacks filling boxes and then once we have made about 7 to 8 different varieties of snacks mom would fill couple of plates with all the items and ask me to take these plates to our neighbours. I had become such a custom for so many years that even now during diwali I try to make do the same.I might not be able to make 7-8 due to lack of time, but I try to at least make 3-4 different varieties of snacks.
Sev is so versatile, you can just snack on it by itself or top them on ragda pattice, misal pav, all kinds of chaat and make that dish even more yummy or you can make a vegetable out of it, such as sev tamatar ki sabji.
Step by Step Video for ‘Sev’ Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
Ingredients for the Sev
- 2 cups Besan/ Gram Flour
- 2 pinches Turmeric/ Haldi
- 4 pinches Asafetida/ Hing
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 ¾ tsp or as per your taste Salt
- for frying Vegetable Oil
- In a bowl add the Besan, salt, haldi, hing and oil and mix well.You should be able to make a rough mold when you press this mix in your hands. If not add a little more oil.
- Add little water at a time and knead a smooth dough.
- Once the dough is ready , use the palms of your hand and massage the dough for 5 minutes. This will help make the dough even more smooth and soft.
- Cover it up with a wet cloth and keep aside for 10-15 minutes.
- After 10-15 minutes take the Sev making machine also known as the kitchen press and oil the inside of this machine evenly.
- Take the dough and put it inside the cylinder part of the machine. Lock the machine.
- Heat the oil for frying.
- Now apply pressure on the machine so that the dough comes out of the bottom of the cylinder directly into the oil, and move your hand in circular motion, 3-4 times Then use your hands to end the sev .Fry the sev for 30- 45 seconds on both side on low to medium flame.
- Repeat this till all your dough is used up.
- Remove on a plate covered with paper towel.
- Let the Sev come to room temperature, before you eat. You can store them in an airtight container for 15-20 days.
Links to Buy Products Mentioned in this Post:
Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/someth21/public_html/wp-content/themes/recipes-child/single-recipe.php on line 123