Shakshouka is a Tunisian and Israeli dish very famous in the middle east, consisting of poached eggs in spicy tomato sauce with onions, peppers and spices. Its very similar to the Latin American breakfast dish ‘Huevos Rancheros’ As the recipe consists of eggs it’s meant to be a breakfast food, but it’s popular even as a dinner dish. I think it can be eaten anytime because it’s just so good, and it’s easy to make.
It has gained so much popularity that it even in direct competition with hummus and pita bread especially during the winters.
This dish is served with a side of bread so as to soak the sauce. You can even have it with roti, chapati or pita bread.
Step by Step Video for ‘Shakshouka‘ Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
Ingredients for Shakshouka
- 5 Eggs
- 1 ½ or 1 cup Bell Pepper (Any color), diced
- 4 (large) or 1-2 cup Tomatoes, diced
- 1 ½ or 1 cup Onions, diced
- 1 cup Mushrooms, sliced(optional)
- 1 tbsp Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Red chilli powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric (haldi)
- 1 tsp Cumin powder (Jeera)
- 1 tsp Black Pepper ( Kali Mirch)
- 1 tsp Mixed Herbs
- 1 tsp Chilli Flakes
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
Ingredients for the Garnishing
- 1 tsp Cheese ( Preferably Feta)
- 1 tsp Cilantro (dhania)
- Dice the tomatoes, onions, bell pepper and garlic. Slice the mushrooms and keep aside.
- In a thick bottom pan add olive oil and turn on the flame.
- Once the oil is hot add the onions, and saute them till they start changing color.
- Add the garlic and saute briefly. Then add the bell pepper. Cook till the onions are fully cooked and the bell pepper are halfway cooked.
- Add the mushrooms and cook til the time the bell pepper are fully cooked.
- Add the tomatoes. Add salt as per your taste. Add half a cup of water and simmer on low flame for 15-20 minutes. Stirring the vegetable at intervals of 5-6 minutes.
- Now a add the cumin powder, turmeric , red chilli powder, black pepper, chili flakes and the mixed herbs. And cook for a minute. Taste and make sure if you need any more spices.
- Make a well or crater in the sauce. Break the eggs in a bowl and pour it in the crater.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on the eggs. Cover and cook till the time the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Garnish with cheese and cilantro leaves.
- Serve while hot in a bowl with a piece of bread.