South Indian Coconut chutney is a must have when you have making south indian food. If Sambar is the Superman of South Indian cuisine then Coconut Chutney is the Spider Man. In short both are superheroes without which South indian food is incomplete.
This Coconut Chutney is so Quick and easy to make , that if you have Freshly Grated Coconut ( You can even use frozen, just wait for it to thaw and come to room temperature before you make the chutney, although I defiantly do recommend you to use freshly grated coconut) you could be ready in a matter of minutes. The ingredients that you require for this chutney are almost all available in your own kitchen pantry or you will definitely find them in your nearest store. So what are you waiting for just get up and make yourself this chutney 🙂
Step by Step Video for ‘Coconut Chutney’ Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
Ingredients for Coconut Chutney
- 1 cup Grated Fresh Coconut
- 2-3 mild Green Chillies
- ¼ cup Roasted Chana Dal/ Split Bengal Gram
- ¼ “ Ginger
- 1 tbsp Curd
- 1 tsp or as per your taste Salt
- ½ - ¾ cup Water
Ingredients for the Tempering
- 1 ½ tsp Oil
- ¼ Tsp Urad Dal/ Split Dehusked Black Gram
- 1 Kashmiri dried red chilli
- ¼ tsp Mustard seeds / Rai
- 4-5 Kadipatta / Curry Leaves
- pinch Hing / Asafetida
- In a Mixer grinder, add the grated fresh coconut, along with Roasted Chana Dal, salt, Green Chillies, Curd and Ginger.
- You can add starting with ¼ cup of water and add more as per your need.Make sure the the ingredients are well blended.
- Remove it in a serving bowl.
- In a tempering pan add oil, and once the oil is hot add the urad dal, the kashmiri red chilli and the mustard seeds and wait till you hear the mustard seeds pop.
- Once you hear the mustard seeds popping, add the curry leaves and the Asafetida.
- Now immediately turn of the flame and add the tempering on top of the chutney.
- Enjoy with idli, medu vada, dosa, or any other south indian dish.
- You can also store it in the refrigerator for a day. But it definitely tastes better when fresh.
Links to Buy Products Mentioned in this Post:
Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/someth21/public_html/wp-content/themes/recipes-child/single-recipe.php on line 123