Veg Manchurian was born by combining chinese cooking and seasoning techniques to match Indian taste, and is the most common ordered food items while ordering indo – chinese food, in india.
There are two kinds of Veg Manchurian dishes, one is dry and the other is gravy, which also contains of two stages.
The first stage is where you take these vegetables and mix it with some corn flour and make a dough and deep fry them.
And the 2nd stage contains of cooking some sauces with some finely chopped veggies on a high flame and then adding the deep fried manchurian balls. Usually they are garnished with some green onion bulbs.
Step by Step Video for ‘Veg Manchurian’ Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
Ingredients for the manchurian balls
- 1 ½ cup Cauliflower / Phool Gobi - grated
- ½ cup Carrot / Gajar - grated
- ¼ cup Cabbage / Patta gobi - grated
- ¼ cup Green onion greens / Hare pyaz ke patte- finely chopped
- ½ cup Capsicum / Shimla mirch - finely chopped
- ½ tsp Ginger paste / Adrak paste
- 1 tsp Garlic paste / Lasun paste
- 3 tbsp Corn flour / Corn starch
- 3 tbsp All purpose flour / Maida
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper powder/ Kali mirch powder
- For frying OIl
- as per your taste Salt
Ingredients for the Dry & Gravy Manchurian
- 2 tbsp Ginger paste / Adrak paste
- 4 tbsp Garlic paste / Lasun paste
- ¼ cup Onions / Pyaz-finely chopped
- ¼ cup Capsicum / Shimla Mirch-finely chopped
- ¼ cup Green Onion Bulbs / Hara pyaz-finely chopped
- 4-5 Mild Green Chillies -finely chopped
- ½ cup Green onion greens / Hare pyaz ke patte- finely chopped
- 3 tbsp Soya Sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp Green Chilli Sauce
- 1 tbsp Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Tomato Sauce
- 3 tbsp Corn Flour
- 3 tbsp Oil
- As per your taste Salt
Prepping for the Veg Manchurian
- Dice and shred up the vegetables keep aside in a bowl.
Method for making the Veg Manchurian Balls
- So it’s easy as taking all of these vegetables and adding it to a bowl so let’s start with the capsicum green onions cauliflower cabbage and carrots.
- Now it’s time to add some salt and using using both the hands we are going to mix it all together and make sure that we apply some pressure so that the water content from the vegetable start oozing out. we want to make sure that all the moisture from the vegetables comes out
- Once you are done with massaging the vegetables then just cover it up and keep it aside for the next 15 minutes
- after 15 minutes you are going take a small amount from the vegetable bowl and using your both hands squeeze as hard as you can, and you will see that a lot of liquid is coming out of the vegetables in the vegetables are becoming much drier and that is exactly what we need to be do the same process for the rest of the vegetables.
- Once you are done with this process you see there is a lot of liquid from the vegetables not do not throw that away we are going to utilise it later.
- now let’s add some Flavoured to them so first add in the black pepper and then some soya sauce followed by the garlic and ginger paste then we can add the cornflour and the all purpose flour which is nothing but Maida. Now using your hand we are going to mix this all together and once you’re done with that you will realise that it forms into a dough. once you are at that stage you take a very small amount in your hand and make round balls out of very much like you are making a Rasgulla you’re making a boondi laddu but a very small boondi laddu. Just do the same for rest of the dough and make the Manchurian balls out of it.
- Meanwhile keep some oil for heating and once that oil is hot we are going to Add about 6 to 7 Manchurian balls and fry them. we are going to fry half way fried or till the time they look somewhat Golden in colour and then take them. Now just let’s repeat the same process with the rest of the Manchurian balls.
- Once all of the Manchurian balls are Halfway fried We are going to again Fry them and this time you are going to put all of them together in the hot oil the reason we double fry them so that they become nice and Crisp from outside.
- Once a start looking nice and golden brown in colour from outside it’s time for us to take them out and put it on a paper napkin order that we all the excess oil gets sucked out of the Manchurian balls. see how night are Manchurian balls are looking there Chrisp from outside nice colours perfect now let’s move on let’s make a dry manchurian.
Method for making the Dry Manchurian
- So in a pan heat some oil, Now keeping the flame on high we are going to add the ginger garlic paste Remember guys that whenever you are making Chinese food the flame always has to be on high.
- once you’re done frying the ginger and garlic paste for about 30 seconds we are going to add the green chillies Followed by the green onion bulb mix it together and now it’s time to add the green onion leaves Mix it in as well and now it’s time to cook it for just about 30 – 45 seconds,
- now it’s time for us to add some sauces so first goes in the vinegar, followed by the Green Chili sauce, some soya sauce, tomato ketchup, mix it all in Let it cook for just about another 30 seconds
- Meanwhile let’s quickly put together the corn flour slurry, take about 1 tablespoon of cornflour and add about half a cup of water mix it in Till the time there are no lumps in this slurry, and add it to a pan, Mix it in and wait for the slurry to thicken it should take about a minute or so for the slurry to start thickening.
- Once the slurry has thicken add half of a manchurian balls to this, the rest half is for the making the gravy manchurian.
- Now mix the Manchurian balls till the time they are nicely coated with thickened slurry, Once the manchurian coated is take them out in a serving plate and garnish it with some spring onion.
- Serve Hot with Veg Fried Rice or Veg Hakka Noodles.
Method for making the Gravy Manchurian
- Now for our gravy veg manchurian heat some oil in a pan and to that we are going to add the ginger garlic paste Mix it in
- then we are going to add some finely chopped onions ,some Green onion bulbs and some green chillies mix them all in. Add very little amount of salt number is this, as the sauces that we are going to add contain a lot of salt so we don’t need to add too much salt.
- Now lets add the capsicum and the green onion leaves and mix it all in and you are going to cook it for about a minute.
- Now let’s start adding the sauces so first goes in the soya sauce then the tomato sauce and vinegar followed by the green chilli sauce, Mix it all in
- now lets quickly make the corn flour slurry
- remember guys i had asked you to keep that vegetable water, so I have about three fourth cup of vegetable water to this I’m going to add 2 tablespoons of cornflour and one fourth cup of water mix it all in till the time there are no lumps and Add it to a pan.Mix it in and let it cook for about a minute in a minute you start seeing that slurry has started thickening and changing colour
- ones that happens add the rest of the manchurian balls and mix it all in cook it for about 30 seconds and we are ready to serve Do Ganesh it with some Green onion leaves.
- Serve hot with Veg Fried Rice or Veg Hakka Noodles.