Step by Step Video for ‘Vegetable Frankie (Veg Roll)’ Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
Ingredients to make the Veg Frankie Filling
|Onions (Diced)||2 medium|
|Potatoes - (Par Boiled, and Diced)||4 medium|
|Amchur / Dried Mango Powder||1 tbsp|
|Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder||1 tbsp|
|Haldi / Turmeric||pinch|
|Fresh Dhania / Cilantro (Diced)||½ cup|
|Salt||1 ½ tsp or as per your taste|
|Hot & Sweet Tomato Chilli sauce/ Tomato Ketchup||2 tbsp|
Ingredients to make the Veg Frankie Roti / Tortilla
|All Purpose Flour / Maida||¾ cup|
|Wheat Flour / Atta||¾ cup|
|Salt||1 tsp or as per your taste|
Ingredients for the Garnishing
|Onions Diced||¼ cup|
|Cheese (Grated)||¼ cup|
- Par Boil the potatoes ( Partially Cook the potatoes in boiling water but remove before they are cooked all the way through. I usually cut the Medium sized potatoes into half and if the potatoes are large I usually cut it into three parts, and pressure cook them. Usually to fully cook the potatoes it takes me 4 whistles, so here I turn of the flame in 3 Whistles, and let the cooker come to room temperature, I also always check using a knife if the potatoes are almost cooked or not, sometimes depending on the quality of the potatoes they can take more or less time) .
- Cut the Potatoes into cube size
- Dice the onions and Cilantro.
- Grate the cheese.
Method for making the Roti / Tortilla Dough
- In a large mixing bowl add the All Purpose Flour and the Wheat flour along salt and oil.Mix well.
- Now add water in parts and knead to make a smooth dough.
- Add more water if required for the Dough . Cover the dough with a wet cloth for 10-15 mins.
Method for making the Veg Frankie Filling
- In a pan, heat the oil, and once the oil is hot add the diced onions and salt for the onions, and cook on medium – high till they are translucent in color, it will take about 3-4 minutes.
- Now add the par boiled and cubed potatoes and salt for the potatoes, and cook for 1-2.
- Once the onions and potatoes are nicely cooked, add the Kashmiri red chilli powder, turmeric, and dry mango powder. Mix well and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the cilantro and mix well, and cook for 1 minute.
Method for Bringing the dough and filling together
- Refresh the dough by kneading it once more.
- Take a part of the dough, almost the size of a big lime and roll it into 5-6 inches diameter disc using a rolling pin on a board or a clean counter top.
- Now press it with your palm and roll it into round roti / tortillas of about 5 -6 inches in diameter.
- On a hot oiled griddle place the Roti / Tortilla.Turn it on other side when one side is partially cooked. Turn the flame on low
- Spread the red tomato sauce evenly on the surface of the roti.
- Add the grated cheese in the center in a line.
- Now it’s time to add the filling on top of the cheese. And then some raw onions.
- Fold one side of the roti on this mix. Take the other side and carefully while holding the first side place it on top of the first side.
- Place this folded side facing the bottom of the heated oiled pan.
- Cook till golden brown on both sides.
- Serve hot with some more grated cheese on top