White sauce pasta is a very easy dish to make. Its rich and creamy texture adds wonders to your pasta. The most important aspect of this dish is the white sauce, which as the french call it the bechamel sauce. This white sauce is few of the basic sauces used by the french and the italians for many dishes. You can adjust the thickness of it according to what kind of dish you’re making.
So how do you cook the white sauce pasta? This white sauce is one of the simplest of sauces to make. You just take equal parts of butter to all purpose flour and add some milk.
If you want a liquidy texture then go for one tbsp of butter and one tbsp of all purpose flour, for medium thick sauce (pasta sauce) take two tbsp of each butter and all purpose flour, and for thick sauce take 3 tbsp of butter and all purpose flour. Cooking this in a pan is called roux, and once you add the milk and it all starts to thicken its called the bechamel sauce.
This sauce is the base sauce, so for instance when you add cheese to this sauce it becomes the mornay sauce, you add heavy cream then you got yourself a Creme sauce
I assure you that once you make this for your family you are going to become the star of your kitchen, and this white sauce pasta is a super hit with kids as well.
You can even give it to your kids in a lunchbox or serve it up for a party at your place.Or simply light those candles, fill two wine glasses and serve this white sauce pasta and you got a romantic dinner for two.
Step by Step Video for ‘White Sauce Pasta with Vegetable‘ Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
Ingredients for the White Sauce Pasta
- 2 ½ cup Penne Pasta (or your choice of Pasta), cooked
- 1 ½ cup or 350 ml Milk
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp All Purpose Flour (maida)
- 2-3 tbsp Cheese (optional)
- 1/2 Onion
- 2 Bay leaves (tej patta)
- 6 Cloves (laung)
- pinch Black pepper
- ¼ cup Bell Pepper (capcisum) , diced
- ¼ cup Olives
- ¼ cup Onions , diced
- 4-5 Basil Leaves or dried oregano
- pinch Nutmeg (jaifal)
- 1 tbsp Garlic, finely diced
- 1 tsp Mixed Italian Herbs
- 1 tsp Red chilly flakes
- as per your taste Salt
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- Dice up the vegetables keep aside in a bowl.
- Take half an onion and using the cloves stick the bay leaves to the onions. Keep aside.
- Boil the Pasta in hot water with enough salt that the water should taste like sea water.
Method for sautéing the vegetables
- In a pan, heat up olive oil. Add diced up onions and capsicum. Saute till they are halfway cooked for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute for a minute. Add the olives and saute for a minute. Turn of the flame and keep the vegetable aside.
Method for making the White Sauce
- In a pot add the milk to this add the onion along with the bay leaves and cloves.
- Turn on the flame and let the milk come to a simmer. Be careful so the milk does not start boiling. Keep aside
- Now in a new pan add the butter and on low flame let the butter melt.
- Add the all purpose flour and mix well. This is called roux. As we want the colour of the white sauce remain white we will cook the roux briefly.
- Add the milk along with the onions, bay leaves and cloves to the roux and mix well.
- Add black pepper and salt. And keep stirring till the sauce thickens. ( The sauce will keep thickening even after you switch of the flame so stop cooking a little in advance.)
- Remove the onions, bay leaves and the cloves from the sauce.
- Add a pinch of nutmeg, and cheese (optional).
- If you can draw a line on back of the spatula and it’s not runny then you got the sauce at the right consistency.
Method for bringing the two together(white sauce and the veggies with pasta)
- In the white sauce add the sauted vegetables. ( if the sauce has cooled down, or have become extra thick , add the leftover water that you used for boiling the pasta. Do not add milk at this time)
- Add add the cooked pasta, the mixed herbs and chilli flakes. Mix well.
- Add few hand cut pieces of basil leaves, mix well and plate it will hot
- You can also garnish it will some pepper and shredded cheese.