This Chicken Curry recipe is almost near hundred year old. It can be enjoyed either dry or with gravy.
One of the best chicken curry recipes I have come across in the recent time. The best part of this recipe is the way we make the spices for it. The aroma is extremely inviting and once you make this dish you will not go back to the store bought chicken masala ever.
Step by Step Video for Chicken Curry Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
Ingredients for Dry Masala
|Bay leaves (Tejpatta)||3|
|Ingredients for Cinnamon sticks (Dalchini)||3-4|
|Black Cardamom ( Badi Elaichi )||4|
|Teaspoon Black Peppercorns (Kali Mirch)||1|
|Tablespoon Cumin (Jeera)||1|
|Cardamom (Small Elaichi)||4|
|Cup Coriander seeds ( Dhania seeds)||¼|
Ingredients for Chicken
|Chicken with bones||1 kg|
|Cup Tomato Puree||1|
|Cup Onion Puree||1|
|Fresh Cilantro leaves for garnishing||Handful|
|Teaspoon Ginger Paste||2|
|Teaspoon Garlic Paste||2|
|Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder||2-3|
|Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)||2|
|Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)||1|
|Salt||as per taste|
|Vegetable Oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Clarified Butter (Ghee)||2 Tablespoon|
- Take all the Dry masala that is the Bay leaves (break them into half ) ,Cinnamon sticks (break them into half ), Black Cardamom (peel it halfway), Cloves , Black Peppercorns , Cumin , Cardamom (peel it halfway), Coriander seeds and add them onto a hot pan to dry roast them. Stir for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the roasted spices once they are cooled off in a mixer grinder and grind. Keep Aside.
- Wash the chicken pieces thoroughly with water.
- Slit the green chillies.
- Heat 2 tablespoons Oil in a big pot (wok) and add the chicken pieces. In regular intervals turn the chicken till it loses the pink color and starts turning to white color. Remove the chicken in a bowl and keep aside.
- In the same pot where the leftover oil and chicken broth (the water that has oozed out of the chicken while frying) add the clarified butter.
- Add the onions and saute for 5-6 minutes or till they turn pink . Add ginger-garlic paste and saute further for another 1-2 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the tomatoes and let it cook for 5-6 minutes. Combine well and cook till oil separates
- Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and salt to the paste, stir.
- Add the fried chicken. Stir
- Add the ¼ cup of Dry roasted masala powder to the chicken. Stir well.
- Add the Ginger Juliennes and the Green Chillies. Stir.
Your dry chicken is ready to serve if you want gravy just add hot water and bring it to boil , Garnish with cilantro. Serve hot. You can enjoy this Chicken Curry dish with Naan, Roti, or Jeera rice along with some sliced onions and green chillies.