Gobi Paratha is a very famous dish in North Indian especially Delhi and is popular breakfast in Punjabi households and is also served in restaurants and punjabi dhabas, along with aloo paratha and pyaaz ka paratha.
Gobi Paratha is type of paratha that is stuffed with flavored cauliflower and vegetables and is served with white butter or curd or with pickles.
Step by Step Video for ‘Gobi Paratha’ Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
Ingredients for Gobi Paratha Dough
|Whole wheat||2 cups|
|Carom Seeds / Ajwain||½ tsp|
|Salt||as per your taste|
Ingredients for the Gobi Paratha Stuffing
|Gobi / Cauliflower||1 cauliflower head 400 grams|
|Onion||1 Medium size|
|Mild Green Chilli||3|
|Fresh Dhania / Cilantro||¼ cup|
|Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder||½ tsp|
|Dhania Powder / Coriander Powder||1 tsp|
|Jeera Powder / Cumin Powder||1 tsp|
|Garam Masala||1 tsp|
|Amchur / Dry Mango Powder||½ tsp|
|Turmeric Powder||¼ tsp|
|Salt||As per your taste|
|Ghee / Clarified butter||for roasting|
Prepping for the stuffing
- Dice up the vegetables keep aside in a bowl.
- Grate the Cauliflower
Prepping for the dough
- In a large mixing bowl add, the wheat flour add salt, carom seeds and oil and mix well.
- Now add water and knead the dough for five minutes.
- One the dough is kneaded cover with a wet cloth and keep aside for half an hour.
Method for making the stuffing
- In a kadhai add oil, once the oil is hot add the ginger garlic paste and cook for 30 seconds.
- Now add the onions and green chillies and cook till the time the onions turn translucent. This should take about 3-4 minutes.
- Add very little salt just enough for the onions at this time. It will help the onions to cook faster.
- Once the onions are cooked, add the grated cauliflower and the cilantro.
- Mix it will. Time to add the spices.
- So let’s add the turmeric, kashmiri red chilli powder, Coriander cumin powder , garam masala and the dry mango powder. Mix well.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- After 2-3 minutes, turn off the flame and let the stuffing come down to room temperature.
- Once the stuffing is at room temperature add salt and mix well.( if you add salt while the mixture is hot then the cauliflower will start oozing water and then the paratha will become mushy.
Method for making the Gobi paratha
- Make six or seven equal sized dough balls.
- Take one and cover the rest.
- On a clean surface sprinkle some dry flour and using a rolling pin make a small puri size tortilla or roti.
- Now take the prepared Gobi stuffing and place in the center.
- The the edge and start pleating bringing it to the center.
- Press the pleats from the center.
- Now take some more dry flour and sprinkle on it and roll to a chapati size.
Method for roasting Gobi paratha
- On a hot griddle add ghee to the surface, and then add the rolled paratha, cook on low flame for a minutes or until you start seeing golden spots on the bottom side.
- Now apply ghee on the top side and flip over.
- Let the other side get cooked as well.
- Finally, serve hot Gobi paratha with a generous amount of butter and serve with raita or pickle or chutney.