So you have a craving for Chicken Momos what do you do? Go to that street stand and order it, knowing that you are compromising big time on the hygiene, substandard ingredients, and sometimes even the taste, when you can easily make them at home, using the best ingredients, and the best taste. Also when you eat outside, you get a hand full of Momos, which is never enough, so what’s stopping you from making it at home? So today let’s make Steamed Veg Momos together and once you see how easy they are you will never order them outside.
But before we start did you know that this dish is believed to be originated in Tibet? And have become a traditional food in Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Sikkim, and Darjeeling and slowly gained its popularity all over the world,
So what is momos? Momos is a steamed bun with any filling. Some of the popular fillings are chicken, Mutton, tofu, paneer and veg momos, and are served with a spicy or tangy dipping sauce also known as momos chutney made with tomatoes and chilies.
Momos can be either be steamed or fried or even added to soup.
As these momos have become world famous snack, they have also gotten different names, some know them by the name dim sum, or dumplings or potstickers.
You can call them by whatever name but they are hard to resist, and quite healthy as well, as they contain a tiny amount of oil or butter. So without further ado let’s begin the process of making perfect soft juicy Chicken momos from scratch.
I also have a great recipe of veg momos so please do check it out.
Step by Step Video for ‘Chicken Momos‘ Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
Ingredients to make Chicken Momos Dough
|All Purpose Flour||1 ½ cup|
Ingredients to make Chicken Momos Filling
|Minced chicken (chicken kheema)||200 Grams|
|Carrots - Very Finely Chopped||⅓ cup|
|Cabbage - Very Finely Chopped||⅓ cup|
|Onions - Very Finely Chopped||½ cup|
|Green Onions Leaves - Chopped||⅓ cup|
|Cilantro/ Fresh Dhania leaves||⅓ cup|
|Ginger paste||½ tbsp|
|Garlic paste||½ tbsp|
|Soya Sauce||1 tsp|
|Black Pepper||½ tsp|
|Garam masala||1 tsp|
|Red Chilli Powder||1 tsp|
|Salt||As per taste|
Prepping for Chicken Momos
- Dice up the vegetables very finely and keep aside in a bowl.
- Make ginger garlic paste.
Method for making the Chicken Momos dough
- In a mixing bowl take all – purpose flour add the oil and salt and mix well.
- Now add little water at a time and knead a semi soft dough for 10 minutes.
- Once the dough is ready cover it with a wet cloth and let it rest for half an hour.
Method for making the Chicken Momos Filling
- In a large mixing bowl, add the minced chicken, carrots , cabbage, onions, green onions, cilantro, ginger garlic paste, butter, soya sauce, salt, black pepper, red chilli powder and garam masala.
- Mix well till all the masalas are mixed with the veggies and chicken.
Method for bringing the two together
- After half an hour , divide the dough in 20-23 pieces and make small balls of it.
- Now take one ball, dip it in dry flour and roll it to a small circular disc, size of a small puri.
- Take the disk in your hand and stuff one spoon of mixture in the center.
- Make the momo shape as shown in the video.
- This way make all the momos and put them on the greased holed tray.
- Put the tray in the steamer and steam momos for 20 minutes.
- Once done switch off the steamer and open the lid, and very gently remove the momos onto the serving plate.
- Serve hot with the momos dipping sauce / chutney.
- Remember not to knead a soft dough or else the momos won’t hold the shape.
- Do not cook the filling separately as this will ooze the moisture and your momos will become soggy.
- If momos are sticky to touch, then steam them for more time, when ready they will not be sticky.
- Grease the pan generously or else the momos will stick to the pan.