Step by Step Video for ‘Masala Khichdi‘ Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
During the monsoons you end up gaining a lot of weight due to the craving of eating something fried, and you end up grouging on various pakoras, most of the time. I have nothing against some delicious pakoras but at the same time why not eat something delicious and healthy and something which hits the right spot and makes all your tastes senses come alive.
So today I am going to show you how to make the maharashtrian style masala Khichdi recipe, which is full of flavours and will make you wanting for more.
Even after a long ride in the rain this is something which you can make and will definitely satisfy all your taste buds.
Ingredients to make Masala Khichdi
|Yellow Moong dal /Split & de husked Green gram||¼ cup|
|Mustard seed / Rai||½ tsp|
|Cumin seed / Jeera||½ tsp|
|Turmeric / Haldi||½ tsp|
|Coriander cumin powder / Dhania jeera powder||1 tsp|
|Goda masala / Kala masala or Garam masala ½ tsp||1 tbsp or ½ tsp|
|Kashmiri red chilli powder||1 tsp|
|Curry leaves / Kadi patta||15|
|Water||1 ½ cup|
|Salt||as per taste or 1tbsp|
Ingredients for Garnishing
|Clarified butter / Ghee||1 tsp|
|Cilantro / Dhania||1 tbsp|
|Grated Fresh Coconut||1 tbsp|
Prepping for making Masala Khichdi recipe
- Slice the green chillies from middle.
- Wash and drain the rice and dal.
- Bring the water to a boil
Method for making Masala Khichdi recipe
- In a kadai add the oil and then add mustard seeds, and let them sizzle.
- Once sizzled add cumin seeds, followed by the Asafoetida, curry leaves curry leaves.
- Then add the rice and dal, and mix well.
- Once mixed add the kashmiri red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander cumin powder, goda masala and salt and mix well.
- Add the hot water, and mix well.
- Cover and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes check if the rice is cooked and the water has evaporated.
- Garnish with some ghee, fresh cilantro and grated fresh coconut.