Today let’s make the Famous Gujarati Methi Pakora, also known as Methi na Gota. They have a very unique taste, a little sweet, a little spicy and a little bitter due to the methi leaves and makes for the perfect snack during monsoon season as well as the winter season…
Step by Step Video for ‘Methi pakora’ Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
Ingredient for Methi pakora
Gram flour / besan ka atta 1 cup
Fenugreek leaves / Fresh Methi patta 1 cup
Green chilli 1
Coarsely crushed Coriander seeds /Sukha Dhania 2 tsp
Coarsely crushed Black pepper / Kali Mirch ½ tsp
Sugar 1 tsp
Carom seeds / ajwain ¼ tsp
Lime Juice ½ tsp
Baking soda ¼ tsp
Asafetida / Hing ⅛ tsp
Salt as per taste
Water as required
Oil for frying
Prepping for making Methi Pakora recipe
- In a large mixing bowl add 1 tbsp of oil, and 1 tbsp of water and using a balloon whisk, blend/ whisk for 1 minute or until the colour changes to white.
- To this add asafetida, sugar, Coarsely crushed Coriander seeds,Coarsely crushed Black pepper, sliced green chilli, salt and Carom seeds( put them in between your hands and crush them to release more flavour), mix until the sugar dissolves.
- Then add the washed and roughly chopped Fenugreek leaves. And mix well.
- Once mixed add the Gram flour, and mix well.
- Then add a little water at a time and mix, until you get a pouring consistency.
- Once you get the right consistency, then add the baking soda, lime juice and 1 tsp of hot oil.
- Mix vigorously for 2 minutes going in one direction.
Method for making Methi Pakora recipe
- Take a little bit of this batter in your hands and start dropping them into the hot oil for deep frying.
- And fry till they become golden brown in colour from all sides.
- Repeat the same process until all the pakoras are fried.
- Remove them on a plate covered with a paper towel, so it sucks in all the excess oil.
- Serve while hot with chutney, and fried green chilli.