Pav Bhaji is one of the most famous street foods in india. Even though it was introduced in mumbai to serve textile workers, almost two centuries ago ,now it has evolved and has made its place in most restaurants. Pav bhaji is also easy to make and is usually served at many dinner parties, as it’s filling and it’s loved by all adults as well as kids. There are many variations such as, panner pav bhaji , mushroom pav bhaji or even khada pav bhaji ( where they keep the vegetables whole instead of mashing them). I grew up enjoying this dish on the streets of mumbai as well as at home. I can easily say that my mom makes one of the best pav bhajis and the aroma just fills the entire neighborhood. And I have no shame accepting that she taught me this dish and whenever I make it , the same aroma fills up my place and takes me back in time.
So how do you make Pav Bhaji – it’s actually not that complex, and the key to making a great bhaji is using the best masalas.I use Badshah pav bhaji masala, and I definitely recommend this masla, but if you don’t find this brand near your store you can go for Everest or MTR.
Step by Step Video for ‘Pav Bhaji’ Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
Ingredients for the Mumbai Pav Bhaji
|Green Peas||½ cup|
|Cauliflower||1 ½ cup|
|Garlic||2 whole heads|
|Pav Bhaji Masala||2 tbsp|
|Goda Masala||½ tbsp|
|Ginger Chilli Paste||½ tbsp|
|Kashmiri Red Chilli Paste||3 tbsp|
|Dhanya / Cilantro||2 tbsp|
Ingredients for Garnishing
|Onions, Finely diced||1/2 cup|
|Dhanya / Cilantro||1 tbsp|
|Lime wedge||as per your taste|
- Dice up the vegetables (Onions, tomatoes,capsicum, Cabbages, French Beans, Cauliflower, carrots)
- Grate the garlic.
- Boil and mash up the potatoes.
- In a pressure cooking add the vegetables (Cabbages, French Beans, Cauliflower and carrots) add around 1 ½ cup water. In a steel bowl add the peas with enough water so the green peas are immersed in them and boil.
- Once the vegetables are boiled, take a hand mixer and mash up them, keeping few chunks (remember not to make a puree) keep aside. No need to do this for the green peas.
- In a big wok, add the oil and onions once half way cooked add garlic.
- Once the onions are fully cooked which should take about 5-6 minutes add tomatoes and and cook for 7-8 minutes or till the time the tomatoes are fully cooked.
- Now add the capsicum and cook for 2 minutes, then add the ginger chilli paste, the kashmiri red chilli powder, and the goda masala. Mix well. And cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add the boiled and mashed up potatoes , veggies, and the green peas. Mix well.
- Add 1 ½ cup of hot water and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Keep stirring in intervals.
- After 15-20 minutes add butter and mix well .
- Garnish with fresh dhaniya leaves and serve hot with buttered hot pav and few diced up raw onions.