Sabudana Vada is equally if not more famous than the sabudana khichadi. This dish is a traditionally deep fried dish of Maharashtra, and is often served with Green Chutney or curd chutney. Sabudana vada is usually eating during fasts as its filling and nutritious and is common to eat them for breakfast lunch or dinner during Shravan or navratri or any other hindu festivals.
Sabudana Vadas are very tasty snack and many people eat them even when they are not fasting. And if you are one of them and want to learn how to make this tasty dish then just follow the step by step recipe or watch the video, Happy Cooking !!!
Step by Step Video for ‘Sabudana Vada’ Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
Ingredients to Make Sabudana Vada
|Sabudana / sago||1 cup|
|Potatoes, boiled||2 medium sized|
|whole peanuts or peanuts powder||¾ cup|
|Ginger Chilli Paste||2 tbsp|
|Salt||½ tbsp or as per your taste|
Ingredients for the Curd Dip
|Curd / Plain Yogurt||1 cup|
|Ginger Chilli Paste||1/4 tsp|
|Salt||as per your taste|
Prepping for Sabudana Vada
- For this recipe we need water soaked Sabudana and that is important step for the best results.
- let’s start this process by first rinsing the sabudana, so for that lets add the sabudana in a colander and add water and use your hand if necessary . After rinsing transfer the sabudana in a bowl and then add some water. Make sure that the water downs the sabudana. You should be able to see the water on the surface. Now cover it up and keep it aside for the next 3-4 hours. I usually prefer to keep the sabudana soaked overnight and make it for breakfast.
- After 3-4 hours our sabudana must have soaked up all the water and will be looking very nice and puffy.
- Now take some peanuts and dry roast them in a pan for 4-5 minutes or until they start showing some color. Now keep them aside and let them cool off a bit. Once they are at room temperature using both the hands remove the peanut cover.
- The put in a blender and blender until you get a coarse powder.
- Boil the potato. Remove skin and mash the Potatoes.
Method for making the Sabudana Vada
- Take the bowl in which you have the water soaked sabudana, and add ½ cup of this peanut powder. (If you have some left over peanut powder you can always add it to your veggies, or raita, or just store it in a airtight container for the next time).
- Now lets add ½ tbsp salt ,1 tbsp sugar, ½ lime juice, The ginger Chili paste, Cilantro and the mashed potato. Mix well
- Once the sabudana mix starts to form into a dough, make small round vada shaped balls, and keep aside.
- heats some oil for frying.
- To check if the oil is hot, add some of the sabudana mix into the hot oil and if it comes up immediately then that means that oil is ready for frying.
- now add two to three of these sabudana vadas into the hot oil and make sure that the flame is on medium and fry till the time it turns golden brown in colour from all sides.Do stir occasionally.
- once they start looking golden for all sides its time to take them out and place it on a paper napkins so that any extra oil gets sucked out it.
- Now time to serve it with some Some sweet and spicy curd. This combination of this curd and the sabudana vada absolutely delicious.
Method for making the Sweet and Spicy Curd Dip
- Take the curd add some water sugar salt and Ginger Chilli paste and mix it well till the time everything is even… and you got yourself a really tasty dip for your sabudana vada.