When you go to an Indian restaurant you always end up ordering Tandoori Roti / Naan or Lachha Paratha cause you know you are not going to get this at home, as you think you are going to need that clay pot oven, a tandoor, to get that taste and feel. But what if i said that you could get almost the same taste and feel right at home, right in your kitchen. Wouldn’t you want to make it ?
I am sure you would definitely would love to give it a try. So today I am going to share this very simple and easy way to make Tandoori roti, at home using just a Bread toaster. Also this recipe is yeast free so if you are allergic or just not comfortable using yeast then all your prayers have been answered.
So let’s get started… and let’s make your kitchen your family’s favourite restaurant.
ingredients for Tandoori Roti / Naan
Wheat flour 2 cups
Curd/ yogurt/ dahi 2 tbsp
Oil 2 tsp
Milk ¾ cup
Prepping for making Tandoori Roti / Naan
- In a bowl add the Wheat flour, curd and oil and mix.
- Once mixed take some dough in hand and press it into a fist shape. If the shape remains then we have the right quantity of oil and curd.
- Then start adding little milk at a time and knead a soft dough.
- Cover the dough and keep aside for 15 minutes.
Method for making the Tandoori Roti / Naan
- After 15 minutes refresh the dough by kneading it again for just a minute.
- Take a small amount of dough and make a ball. And then dip it in dry flour
- Now we are going to use a rolling pin and flatten the ball into a roti the size of bread so it fits in the bread toaster.
- Once the roti is rolled, then let’s roast the roti halfway on a griddle. Make sure the flame is on low
- Once you see some spots on the roti then flip them. And cook them half way on both sides.
- Then add the halfway cooked rotis in the bread toaster and turn the toaster on.
- Once they pop out and are toasted remove them using tongs.
- And apply butter or ghee and serve while hot.
- When guests are visiting, you can make the halfway cooked rotis in advance and then use the toaster right there on the dining table and serve your guests hot tandoori rotis.
- You can also take half way cooked rotis to the office and pop them in the toaster and you can have fresh hot rotis at work.
- You can also use this trick using your regular dough(without curd and milk)
- If some family member is traveling for weeks or a month, you can cook the roti 90 % without the curd and milk and pack it in slots of 5 so they can be frozen. And when ready to eat they can just unwrap one packet and pop them in the toaster and enjoy home cooked roti away from home.