You have never made Thandai at home??
Why is that ??
do you think it’s too complicated ??
if Yes , then let me put your minds at ease, and tell you, that it is actually very simple. Just follow the simple steps from my recipe video and I am sure you will keep making this very regularly especially during the hot summer day.
Thandai is also a very popular during the holi festival so do make this cool & refreshing drink for your friends and family while you enjoy your holi with them.
Step by Step Video for ‘Thandai’ Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
Ingredients for Thandai
|Almonds / Badam||20 pcs|
|Pistachios / Pista||20 pcs|
|Watermelon / Tarbooj / Kalingad Seeds||2 tbsp|
|Muskmelon / Kharbooja Seeds||2 tbsp|
|Black Pepper / Kali Miri||1 ½ tsp|
|Poppy Seeds / Khus Khus||1 ½ tbsp|
|Fennel Seeds / Saunf||1 ½ tbsp|
|Cardamom / Elaichi||6-8|
|Sugar||300 grams or 1 cup|
|Water||150 ml or ½ cup|
|Cold Milk||as per your taste|
Prepping for the Thandai
- Soak the almonds and the pistachios over night or for 6-7 hrs in water.
- In the morning or after 6-7 hrs remove the skin, and keep aside.
- Dry roast the watermelon seeds, the muskmelon seeds, black pepper, poppy seeds, fennel seeds.
- Remove the cardamom seeds by peeling of the skin and dry roast the seeds as well.
- Let the Dry roast of this spice mix come down to room temperature.
- Once the Spice Mix is at room temperature add it to a mixer grinder and make fine powder. Keep your spice mix powder aside in a bowl.
- In the same blender add the almonds and the pistachios with little water and blend well. Make fine paste.
- Remove the paste in a bowl and keep aside.
Method for making the Thandai
- In a wok or pan add the sugar and water and boil the water until the sugar melts and becomes one with the water.
- Once the sugar syrup is ready and boiling, add the spice mix powder, and mix well.
- Turn off the flame and keep stirring the spice mix powder in the sugar syrup for a minute or two or until there are no lumps.
- Now add the almonds and pistachios paste and mix well.
- After all the ingredients are well mixed in, let this thandai syrup come down to room temperature. This might take 10 minutes.
- Once the Thandai syrup is cooled down, you can if you wish for a finer syrup run this entire syrup through a blender or use ti as it is.
- Now take a serving glass add the thandai syrup 3-4 teaspoon along with chilled milk.
- Mix well and drink while its cold.