Upma, also know as Uppittu is a common South Indian breakfast. Not only it is delicious but it’s also very healthy and filling, due to which it’s become one of the favorite and common breakfast served in Maharashtra as well. Upma usually consists of dry roasted semolina / Rava/ Sooji, but you can also make upma from whole wheat, rice, corn, kesari bath, aval, or even with vermicelli, and is cooked with seasonings and onions and ginger. Some even like to add peas and carrots but today I am going to show you my favorite way to make rava upma , which also the most basic and easiest way to make upma.
Step by Step Video for ‘Upma’ Recipe (Scroll Down for detailed & printable recipe)
Ingredients for making Upma
|Semolina/ Rava / Sooji||½ cup|
|Mild Green Chillies||2 big|
|Curry Leaves / Kadhi Patta||4-5|
|Split Black Gram / Urad Dal||½ tsp|
|Sugar||1 ½ tsp|
|Lime Juice||½ tsp|
|Asafetida / Hing||pinch|
|Dried Red Chilli||1|
|Mustard seeds / Rai||¼ tsp|
|Ghee / Clarified Butter||1 tbsp|
|Salt||1 tsp or as per your taste|
|Hot Water||2 cups|
Ingredients for the Garnishing the Upma
|Cilantro / Dhanya||1 tsp|
Prepping for the Upma
- Dice up the vegetables(onions, green chillies, ginger, cilantro) keep aside in a bowl.
Method for making the Upma
- In a vessel dry roast the semolina, for 1- 11/2 minute. Then remove the semolina in a plate.
- In that same vessel add the oil and ghee, and urad dal, dried red chili cook it for 15 seconds.
- Now add the rai, hing, curry leaves, ginger, green chillies and onions.
- Mix it all in and cook for 2-3 minutes or until onions are translucent, you can also add the salt just enough for the onions.
- Once the onions are cooked in, add the semolina, salt, sugar and hot water.
- Mix it in.
- Now add the lime juice. Mix well. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Now cover it up and cook on low flame for 2 minutes.
- After two minutes the water must have been soaked up by the semolina, if not cook for 1 more minute.
- Turn of the flame garnish with cilantro and serve hot.